This is the "questions page" from volleybrains.com.
The readers of this newsletter are coaches and players that all love the game.
Most of these questions aren't questions with 'easy' answers. And it's quite impossible to get through all these questions in one sitting. And some questions are questions which you maybe don't want to respond to.
All that is okay.
Our video call is an open conversation about volleyball...every opinion is a good one.
Asking specific questions will get great answers.
We divided the questions in 4 chapters.
- Why did you decide to commit to being a professional volleyball coach? What pushed you towards that decision?
- What advice would you give yourself as a starting coach? An advice that is so clear and logic for you now, but that you had to develop over the years. (Can be about anything)
- What are bad recommendations you hear about coaching or training volleyball?
- Do you have a particular goal? Maybe a goal that you already reached or a goal that is so hard to reach that it gives you daily motivation?(and some healthy stress :-)) Can be personal on a team or club level, or all of those.
- Team rules. Are there some fixed rules that you put in place? Technical/volleyball related and organisational.
- Team management. Sometimes managing completely different teams year over year. Do you have any methods that you reach back to every new season?
- When preparing a new game (next weekend), how does your general approach look like and did you ever change your approach? Why did you change and was the outcome beneficial?
- The future of volleyball, from a technical point of view, how will the game evolve according to your opinion? Or what are you hoping for that the game will look like in a couple of decades? What is needed to get there?
- According to you, what rule change is necessary? And why would you want to see this rule implemented?
- Best game you've ever seen. What recent or game from the volleyball vaults did validate once more that volleyball is the greatest sport on the globe (for all of us). For sure share your opinions about this matchup, what you took away from it.
- If you would have the ability to put together the world's most performing volleyball player. Which (5) characteristics would he/she have.
- If you can make the strongest 'starting six' in the world, right now. What would your team look like? Why did you choose these players? Female or Male depending on your expertise.
- If you could have a gigantic billboard anywhere with anything on it — metaphorically speaking, getting a message out to every athlete on the globe — what would it say and why?
- What is an unusual habit or an absurd thing that you love?
- How has a failure, or apparent failure, set you up for later success? Do you have a “favorite failure” of yours?
- Do you have a book that you like a lot? Which lessons did you get out of it?
- What is one of the best or most worthwhile investments you’ve ever made? (Could be an investment of money, time, energy, etc.)
- In the last five years, what new belief, behaviour, or habit has most improved your life?
- When you feel overwhelmed or unfocused, or have lost your focus temporarily, what do you do? (If helpful: What questions do you ask yourself?)