This is the "questions page" from volleybrains.com.
The readers of this newsletter are coaches and players that all love the game. The goal of volleybrains.com is to spread specific knowledge and for the readers to learn from you, the expert in the field.
Most of these questions aren't questions with 'easy' answers. And it's quite impossible to get through all these questions in one sitting...and some questions are maybe questions which you don't want to respond.
All that is okay, the video call is an open conversation about volleyball...every opinion is a good one.
Asking specific questions will get great answers.
- Why and how many years ago did you decide to commit to being a professional volleyball coach? What pushed you towards that decision?
- What advice would you give yourself as a starting coach? An advice that is so clear and logic for you now, but that you had to develop over the years. (Can be about anything)
- Do you have a particular goal as a coach? Maybe a goal that you already reached or a goal that is so hard to reach that it gives you daily motivation?(and some healthy stress :-)) Can be personal on a team or club level, or all of those.
- The future of volleyball, how will the game evolve according to your opinion? Or what are you hoping for that the game will look like in a couple of decades? Will the speed of the game increase? Will the game become more technical?
- According to you, what rule change is necessary in the future? And why would you want to see this new rule implemented?
- Why not ask a silly question also, we had so many serious ones. :-) So, you are Dr. Frankenstein and have the ability to put together the world's most performing volleyball player. Which at least 5 characteristics would he/she have.
- Per position, what do you think the main trait of a player should be. AND...if they don't possess that characteristic AND if it is trainable, how would you go about that? (Probably this question is a complete 'podcast' in and of itself)
- Best game you've ever seen. Very simple, what recent or game from the volleyball vaults did validate once more that volleyball is the greatest sport on the globe (for all of us). For sure share your opinions about this matchup, what you took away from it. (If there are Youtube links, feel free to share them)
- When preparing a new game (next weekend), how does your general approach look like and did you ever change your approach? Why did you change and was the outcome beneficial?
- What is an unusual habit or an absurd thing that you love?
- How has a failure, or apparent failure, set you up for later success? Do you have a “favorite failure” of yours?
- If you can make the strongest 'starting six' in the world, right now. What would your team look like? Why did you choose these players? Female or Male depending on your expertise.
- Do you have a book that you like a lot? Which lessons did you get out of it?
- What is one of the best or most worthwhile investments you’ve ever made? (Could be an investment of money, time, energy, etc.)
- What advice would you give to a smart, driven young coach about to enter the “professional coaching world”?
- A follow up to the last question. Maybe even more important, what advice should they ignore? What are bad recommendations you hear about coaching or training volleyball?
- Is there a rule change that you want to see turned back? Why is that?
- If you could have a gigantic billboard anywhere with anything on it — metaphorically speaking, getting a message out to every athlete or coach on the globe — what would it say and why? It could be a few words or a paragraph. (If helpful, it can be someone else’s quote: Are there any quotes you think of often or live your life by?)
- In the last five years, what new belief, behaviour, or habit has most improved your life?
- When you feel overwhelmed or unfocused, or have lost your focus temporarily, what do you do? (If helpful: What questions do you ask yourself?)